Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hit the wall

I have to say that over the 3 years of exploring a Kazakh adoption there have been times that I may have been judgmental. When you are on the other side, at home, it is easy to say, "what the heck are they complaining about? They are in Kaz meeting their child!" On about July 14th I hit the wall myself! It took me only 6 days to get there!

I had made all my arrangements on my own for an apartment here. My agency has one and there is the hotel both which are between $100-130 a night. After having the unexpected 4th trip added I just couldn't afford that. So, through the french couple I contacted their landlord who assured me that he had a studio for about $40. When I got here it was actually a bigger apartment and I was very concerned if it was the French couple's apartment that they have been staying in over the past 2 years. Well it was....I spoke with the couple and our dates overlapped and the studio was not available until the night of the 15th. So in the middle of the night 1:30 am, I had to move to my interpreter's sister's apartment, then last night I had to move again to the studio apartment at midnight. Thank goodness the landlord had a big strong relative to help me up the 6 flights of stairs. The best news is that I have A/C!! So that was my wall....tears were shed but all is well. I can't tell you how much my interpreter has become my friend. The coordinators seem to be in a class of their own, they do their job well but they seem to be above you and the interpreter. Not someone you would call at midnight to let them know that you are moving! This is absolutely a wonderful experience but you learn very quickly here that you have NO power. You are here to do as you are told. You will do anything to get that little darlin' out of that BH into your heart and home.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa - Yes, the best lesson learned is "smile, nod and roll with it". Odd feeling to have no "power", isn't it?
    Thank you for letting me follow your hard-won journey. Sending positive thoughts across the miles for smooth sailing here on out.
    We stayed at the Hotel Kazakhstan in Almaty for a week last year - if you are able to look up and see the hotel from where you are, please send Almaty our best! Enjoy your A/C!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa that totally stinks. But hang in there. Hopefully you are settled in - for a week or so! We talked about it a lot. How you simply have no control over anything while you are there and you have to keep your goal in mind - STELLA, STELLA, and did I mention STELLA! You clearly are doing that even if you did have a few bad moments. And now you've got a wonderful friend in your interpreter so you aren't on your own. She's watching out for you there and we've got your backs here. So go give Stella a big kiss tomorrow and things will look better.

    Take care and like Mollie said enjoy the AC!!!
    Lou Ann & Lexie too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding your last couple of sentences -- so true, so true, so true. I'm a control-freak Type A person, and I still think my time in Kaz was an out-of-body experience. It's all about keeping your head down and asking no questions. SO WEIRD, but so true. You have the perfect make-up and the perfect attitude to pull this off. And, you have a gazillion people cheering you on, praying for you, and just generally stalking you for news. :-) You're doing GREAT!!!!! We are so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well--it happens to the best of us--no matter how happy we are it is stressful and your journey has been more stressful than some but you are doing amazing.
    Anytime you need to vent--put it here and you will be surrounded with love and support.

    ReplyDelete