Thursday, November 4, 2010

leaving Almaty

Our KLM flight was scheduled for 8:20 am, so I woke at 4 and quietly packed all of our belongings in the dark. Nothing more important to me then the sleeping beauty in the bed. She is my everything. We got to the airport and thankfully got two seats together, I took a big chance and booked staff travel tickets, so we were on stand by. As we waited in the boarding area I had a moment of shear joy and I cried. I was trying to be quiet about it but the hiccups kept escaping from my mouth. I was actually going to get on this plane with this sweet little girl. Simply surreal.Stella did so wonderful on the flight, I had oatmeal and apple juice and formula to get us through.

We arrived in AMS at about noon. I thought I had all my bases covered and a friend had booked the Sheraton for us, just off the airport through the transit area. I stopped at the customs area to get a temporary transit visa for Stella. DENIED!! Apparently they haven't given those in 4 years. Previously to the trip, I had called the Mercure which is a hotel in the transit area and tried to book a room there, just in case something like this happened, they said they were booked. Meanwhile...my luggage is going round and round along with my stroller. I called my friend Tina in the states and she immedietly got on the phone and called the Mercure....thank goodness they had a room available. BUT my luggage. I spoke with KLM and then had to walk all the way to the other side of the airport and have Continental work with KLM in locating my luggage. I couldn't check in with Continental until my luggage was found. After an hour or so, everything was located and we made our way mid airport to the Mercure. Stella and I fell into bed at 4 pm and both woke wide awake at midnight. At this point I am running out of food for my STella Bella. On the otherside of the transit area there is a wonderful grocery store called Albert Hein....not much for a baby on the side I was on. My formula had also turned mushy. I made an emergancy call to a dutch friend who called my wonderful flight attentdant friend who was laying over and she got Oatmeal and fruit puree to give to us inflight. We just had to make due with what we had for the time being. Stella being a trooper the whole time. so at about 3 in the morning in AMS...Stella and I walk the airport....even on this side there are fun shops and such.
Stella at the Mercure...ready for our next flight.....
I have to say that my 23 years with Continental paid off all in that day. We got to the gate pretty early and my concierge friend was there to greet us...she said there were only 4 or 5 seats available for that flight but they were trying to block us two of those seats together on the 11 hour flight. the gate agents who I have know for years of coming and going through AMS where so wonderful to us. They came to us first, tore my tickets and said that I could go on first. WOW....such treatment! Once on the plane of course the flight attentdants absolutely made a huge deal over Stella. My friend Sylvia made us so comfortable and we had such a nice flight. As familiar as I am with this flight...this was the longest 11 hour flight of my life. Stella was a dream. She didn't sleep much but she never cried and I always had a bottle of juice ready for take off and landing. She was a trooper! Here is Sylvia and Stella.
Sweet little landing outfit from Auntie Sylvia.

3 comments:

  1. You are such a good mommy. Even though I have followed you along this whole journey, it is fun to read about it again and just look at all the sweet pictures of Stella. I am so happy that you are home together. You are exactly where you were always meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I love the pictures, Stella looks so happy and I love the pictures of her sucking her thumb...so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Sorry to hear about the crises on the way home. At least half my carry on was food for Irina so I can relate to the importance of having enough food. What a great feeling to have so many friends in the airline business come to your aid! But now you two are HOME and - by the looks of your photos on fb - settling in well. I'd love to hear more about what it's like being a Mom and how Stella is adjusting. She is SO precious!

    ReplyDelete